The role played by the Methodist Church in the village for over 150 years spanned spiritual, social and educational activities.
With two churches…the Wesleyan Methodist Church founded in 1833 and the Primitive Methodist Church in 1839, between them they recorded over 600 attendances on 30th March 1851. The Primitive Church (pictured below on the left) was converted to a private house in the early 1950s but the Wesleyan Centre (pictured in the centre) continued to serve as a place of worship until 2004. Nowadays, there is a strong ecumenical partnership so Methodists and Anglicans all worship at St Mary’s church.
The former Wesleyan Church has been refurbished to create modern, accessible meeting rooms and the History Club’s Heritage Centre. It is now called The Wesley Centre (pictured below on the right).